Yes, it’s been quite a week. An extra heartbeat and an extra decade – I’ve finally left my 30’s behind. I don’t actually mind getting older, and despite what we’re going through at the moment, I believe my life is pretty amazing. So that is what I’m going to focus on. Here is Part 1 of my Fabulous 40 Things I Love about Life (in no particular order).
1. The smell of my husband’s skin, especially on his neck
2. The sound of Poppy’s laughter, and Daisy’s giggles
3. The feel of the sun on my face
4. The way the first sip of Gin & Tonic tastes after a long day
5. The way I feel when I write something good (like standing on top of a mountain)
6. Standing on top of a mountain
7. The smell of M&S chocolate chip cookies as they are taken out of the oven
8. The possibilities of life
9. The purr of my cat at my ear
11. Looking at my babies in the dead of the night, their faces perfect in sleep
12. The smell of bread
13. The surprising sound of birdsong when I realise winter is over
14. The smell of tropical sea
15. The memories, so many, so varied, so intrinsic
16. The smell of the pages of a new book (and even better, the smell of an old book)
17. My mum
18. My girls, my oh so funny, smart, loving, beautiful, astonishing, wondrous girls
19. My girlfriends, without whom life would be a mere shadow of what it is
20. Colour coding, lists, and planning – I’m salivating at the mere thought of it.
I could go on, but this burst of bustling energy is slowly fizzling out as the fog of nausea returns, like a curtain announcing the end of the play. Time to retire until they open again. I might just drag my forty year old ass upstairs and look at my girls as they sleep. Always good to do something we love.